Sunday, July 27, 2014

New Squad, New Process

After finishing the terrain boards, I decided to make a second tactical squad for my Knights Bellicose before moving on to any modular terrain. With that, I've decided to change up my painting process to try to make things more efficient.

In the past, I used to paint models by area. For instance, I'd paint all the colors on all the legs in the squad. Once the legs were 100% complete, I'd move onto the torsos, then arms, etc. This time, I've decided to focus on getting all of one color on the models and moving from there. My theory is that, by changing colors less frequently and spending more time on each individual model, I'll save a lot of time.

So far, I have all the brown completed on this squad.

I'm still waiting to do the arms so that I can access the chest areas. I don't want to lose quality. Also, I'm going to continue doing the helmets last because holding them during the painting process will rub the paint off the helmets. So far, though, this new process seems to be working out nicely.

In addition to changing my painting process, I've been thinking about my bits theory. With the new tactical squad, I want every tactical squad in the chapter to be issued with the same gear. For instance, I want exactly to beakie helmets in the squad (for their advanced sensor packages). One of those beakies will have an auspex. I want to have two bolters with optics to act as designated marksmen. Also, all tactical squad sergeants will all have power swords and bolt pistols. With all these similarities in my tactical squads, how do I keep them from all looking exactly the same?

The new tactical squad box seems to have my answer. For the first time, I'll be fielding a marine without a helmet. Other options, such as the reloading arms and the arm holding an auspex will help add individual flavor to each squad and make each squad unique beyond simply changing the squad numbers.

Head without a helmet

1st squad's auspex marine with 2nd squad's
arm holding the auspex

Arms reloading a bolter

Lastly, I'm considering making some simple changes to the bases. I'm still covering the bases (at least of the tactical squads) with flock to make them look like concrete or asphalt. In 1st squad, I left them as plain asphalt. In the new and future squads, I'm considering painting white and yellow lines on the bases to represent the lines on roadway. This should help add some more visible difference between the squads without detracting from the army as a whole.

Feel free to post your comments on any of the new ideas. I'd love to hear what you guys think!

1 comment:

  1. I love your bold, bright colours. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I really like the clean lines and thick black outlines. Great work!